Bread is the staple of any good meal and dutch oven sourdough bread with starter is easy and delicious.
Dutch Oven Sourdough Bread with Starter
Servings: 6 people
- 100 grams Whole Wheat Flour
- 400 grams Bread Flour
- 350 grams Water room temperature
- 80-100 grams Sourdough Starter
- 15 grams Salt
- This needs to be prepared the day before you want your bread.In a large container, combine flours, water, and starter together so everything is incorporated. Let sit, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add the salt and any herbs/spices you’d like and combine thoroughly. Using your hands ensures complete distribution of all ingredients. You’ll feel the dough coming together. After well combined, cover and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and begin folding the dough over itself within the container. Grab the end farthest from you and slightly stretch the dough up and back towards you and over itself. Turn the bucket slightly and repeat. Repeat this stretching and folding until the dough forms a smooth tight ball. It should begin feeling more and more like dough with every stretch. The first time you do this it may require 8-10 stretches.Cover and let rest for another 15-20 minutes.Repeat the stretching technique. The dough should form the ball with fewer stretches this time. Cover and rest 15-20 minutes.Repeat an additional 2-3 times, resting 15-20 minutes between each stretch.
- Cover and let rest.
*You have a choice depending on your time schedule. You can leave the dough covered on the counter for 12-15 hours, shape, rest, then bake.
Or what I do, let the dough rest on the counter for about 5 hours, form in my banneton, cover, and place in the refrigerator overnight for 18+ hours. Then remove for 2 hours and bake.
- After your resting time of choice, you’ll need to shape your dough. Remove dough from the container onto a lightly floured surface. Form into a tight ball and place upside down into your banneton or bowl.Let rest for 2 hours on the counter, covered.
- About an hour into your resting period, turn your oven on to 465F degrees with your covered dutch oven inside to preheat.
- When your ready to bake, flip your dough onto a piece of parchment paper and score your bakers signature if you’d like. This gives the dough somewhere to rise and it looks cool.
- Carefully and quickly remove your dutch oven. Place the dough into the dutch oven with or without the parchment paper. I prefer to use the paper to make it easier. Cover the dutch oven and place back into the oven.Cook for 15 minutes then remove the lid.Continue cooking for 30-40 minutes. Sometimes I’ll take an internal temperature reading, and as long as it’s over 200F I know it’s done.
- Remove the bread from the dutch oven without buirning yourself and place onto a wire cooling rack for at least 2 hours.
- After it’s completely cooled down, slice that bad boy up and enjoy!